At Aham Yoga, we constantly strive towards giving you more yoga through classes, personal attention, training, events and workshops, and access to more yoga knowledge through books, our blog, etc. Always striving towards our motto, “Y-your, O-own, G-goals, A-achieved©” each day, we began hosting a Yoga Book Club in the summer of 2016 – a longtime dream!
WHAT IS THE YOGA BOOK CLUB?
- Meet once every 4-6 weeks (depending on the book).
- Open dialogue, questions, and discussions about the contents of the book – your participation is key!
- The book club attendance is FREE. Your only investment is time, the book, and food/drinks at chosen venue.
WHO IS THIS BOOK CLUB FOR?
- Anybody interested in yoga.
- Anybody looking to meet new people
- Anybody who loves to read.
HOW TO SIGN UP FOR THE YOGA BOOK CLUB?
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know you are interested.
- Join our Facebook Group for all of the quickest updates, questions, etc.
- Begin reading and expand your mind!
HOW ARE THE BOOKS CHOSEN?
To interested members we will be sharing a yoga book list of our favorites. We are also open to any of your suggestions. We will pick the next book at the closing of every meet, and announce the book on our Facebook Group for other interested members.
- When? Friday, June 16th, 2017.
- What time? 4:15 – 5:30pm
- Where? TBD (perhaps it’s time we take this one outdoors!)
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • Thought leader, visionary, philanthropist, mystic, and yogi Sadhguru presents Western readers with a time-tested path to achieving absolute well-being: the classical science of yoga.
NAMED ONE OF THE TEN BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY SPIRITUALITY & HEALTH
The practice of hatha yoga, as we commonly know it, is but one of eight branches of the body of knowledge that is yoga. In fact, yoga is a sophisticated system of self-empowerment that is capable of harnessing and activating inner energies in such a way that your body and mind function at their optimal capacity. It is a means to create inner situations exactly the way you want them, turning you into the architect of your own joy.
A yogi lives life in this expansive state, and in this transformative book Sadhguru tells the story of his own awakening, from a boy with an unusual affinity for the natural world to a young daredevil who crossed the Indian continent on his motorcycle. He relates the moment of his enlightenment on a mountaintop in southern India, where time stood still and he emerged radically changed. Today, as the founder of Isha, an organization devoted to humanitarian causes, he lights the path for millions. The term guru, he notes, means “dispeller of darkness, someone who opens the door for you. . . . As a guru, I have no doctrine to teach, no philosophy to impart, no belief to propagate. And that is because the only solution for all the ills that plague humanity is self-transformation. Self-transformation means that nothing of the old remains. It is a dimensional shift in the way you perceive and experience life.” The wisdom distilled in this accessible, profound, and engaging book offers readers time-tested tools that are fresh, alive, and radiantly new. Inner Engineering presents a revolutionary way of thinking about our agency and our humanity and the opportunity to achieve nothing less than a life of joy.
Quoted from Amazon.com
- Krishnamacharya: His Life and Teachings by A.G. Mohan.
- Sidhartha by Herman Hesse.
- Tree of Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar
- How Yoga Works by Michael Roach
- The Great Work of Your Life by Stephen Cope
- The Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda (still reading)
- The Yamas & Niyamas: Exploring Yoga’s Ethical Practice by Deborah Adele
- Yoga FAQ by